Thursday, May 12, 2016

KIAI!!! Week of 5-9 to 5-15

So it's race week but not race week.  I'm in a weird spot now, between work and a short time to cram last-minute training in for the CT race.  I was originally scheduled for two races this weekend (yes, I have issues, and no, I don't expect them to go away), and opted to withdraw from the trail race in favor of the road race?  WTF?  Really???  Yes.  The road race Saturday is the KIAI 5k in Wakefield, I've run it every single year since it started (this is #7), and it provides karate scholarships to deserving kids who need help with the cost of tuition, which is something I wholeheartedly support.  That said, I'll plan on being there every year to support friend and race director Julie C., run with friends in beautiful Wakefield, and enjoy the day.  And I came in 4th last year!  Soapstone?  Well, I need to get a 'long long" run in on Sunday, and the race doesn't fit that bill, between the drive time and race prep, etc.  So I withdrew.  And no more races after Saturday until 6/4.

Monday - 4 Miles.  Hewitt Farm recovery run.  Took it easy on the trails at Hewitt, legs were sore after 7 Sisters but still working.

Tuesday - 3 Miles.  Avery Farm, Groton.  I'd wanted to check out Avery Farm for a while.  It's part of the Groton Open Space Association, is fairly sizable, and is supposed to connect with another property to the South.  That said, I found the signs and parking, and set out on one trail that went nowhere, almost gave up and saw a blazed trail across the street, which ended up being an out/back.  Fun trails but short, and I really needed a map.

Wednesday - 0 Miles...but...I saw a friggin' mountain lion!  I was on my way home with the dog after a long work day, and driving down route 184 there it was, crossing the road a couple hundred yards in front of me.  Long and lean, long tail, and crossed the road in a couple of strides, bounded up the hill on the other side in a couple more, and was gone.  Wow.  I checked the CT Mountain Lion website (yes, there is one) and apparently there have been several sightings in that exact area.  Needless to say, I now have my GoPro on standby in the truck just in case...

Thursday - 3 Miles.  Castle Craig run on the way home.  83 degrees, sunny, and a good chance to get some hill climbing in. Hammered the downhill back to the parking lot.

Friday - 7 Miles.  Dog Jog, and Winery Out/Back in the rain.  Nice to bang out a 6 mile progression run in the pouring rain!

Saturday - 4+ Miles.  7th Annual KIAI 5k.  5th overall of 121 runners in 21:18.  Sweet!  My seventh straight time running this race.  Long story short, I did a short warmup, and saw several fast-looking people doing the same, figuring that I'd be a lot further down the results page.  Walked up to the start with local fast dude Stephen C., and he pointed out the potential winner, a guy who runs for Seton Hall (he won).  The race started and the usual pack of youngsters zipped out with the leaders.  I figured I was in tenth place, and gradually passed the kids as they faded.  The top three got out ahead quickly, #4 and #5 were close enough that I was able to keep them in my sights, including a runner in a red Boston Running Club singlet.  I reeled him in in the last mile and set my sights on #4, thinking maybe I'd catch him on the last street.  I did, but he edged me out by one second to keep me in 5th for the day.  For my effort, I scored a $25 gift card to Denali, which is already burning a hole in my pocket...great race, great cause, and perfect weather!

Sunday - 1.2 Miles.  Dog Jog.  Long run didn't happen, but the next day...

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm, maybe I should look at this race for next year instead of Narrow River. NR hates me and I am pretty sure the feeling is mutual.

    Nice job!

    ReplyDelete