Monday, March 20, 2017

STELLA!!! Week of 3-13 to 3-19

Big storm a comin' this week, including possible "Bombogenesis" from winter storm Stella!  Fun!  Looks like an interesting week anyway, no races to speak of and a potentially lighter than average work schedule...

Monday - 6.  DPNC trails, Mystic.  Getting some miles in before the trails get obliterated.  Partially clear, mud and snow mix, and got my legs shredded a bit when I missed a turn and ran into a briar patch.  Whoops!  I may (may?) have to hit the treadmill during this storm, as it's now time to really buckle down and do the work that needs to be done before the big races come up in June (and beyond), and they come up quick!  My friend Eric has been banging out 30-milers on his treadmill...I just can't see doing that, though...ick.

Tuesday - 0.  Stella was a bust, at least in this corner of New England...3-5 inches of snow with a couple inches of sideways, wind-driven rain thrown on top.  More shitty weather, I may not have ever seen?

Wednesday - 0.  Nope!

Thursday - 6.  Bluff Point mud run, Groton.  I chose the path less traveled, unless you're a mountain biker!  I veered off the main path for some fun, muddy singletrack and got totally filthy.  Awesome run, and tacked on extra time at the end because a big 'ol skunk was blocking the trail near the parking lot.  Great time!  Glad I was able to find some clear trails, too!

Friday - 2.  Short trail check at Long Pond.  Awesome fun in shorts, t-shirt and gloves, sliding all over the place on trails that are sketchy when they're clear, nevermind packed snow!  Did a couple short out/back runs, decided a long run for Saturday wasn't feasible, and called it a day.

Saturday - 0.  Family shopping marathon in Garden City...

Sunday - 17.  TREADMILL???  It happened.  I was running errands and doing shit at the house, had family scheduled to come over in the afternoon for an early dinner, and my hopes of getting a long run were slowly slipping away...so I caved.  I think it's been two years since I hit the treadmill, and I pitched the idea to my wife, who really got on board with it.  My target was 15.  I grabbed a bottle of Tailwind, my Kindle, put on a Billy Yang Films playlist on YouTube and got to it.  I started the pace at a flat 10 and pretty much kept it there, with a few slight variations in pace/incline.  It's my "all day" pace, and I realized quickly that my Garmin was slowly shorting my mileage.  So I ultimately ran 17 according to the treadmill to get 15 on the Garmin.  Could have gone longer, and it really wasn't that bad...playlist is key, I think?

Hindsight being what it is, I suppose that if I'm going to train in New England for an early Summer ultramarathon, I may have to get some 'mill time in, just to balance family/work/weather constraints.  Fortunately this shouldn't happen often, but I can make the most of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment