Monday, November 3, 2014

Race Week (Again!) Week of 11-3 to 11-9

Cooler temps and shorter days...after a stormy weekend and very few miles last week, I'm ready to get out and get some trail time in, in advance of Sunday's RI 6-Hour Ultramarathon & Relay.  Last year I managed 32.4 miles in 5:40, good for 31st place.  Seth wanted me to hit 38 miles last year, so that's my goal for this year.  As a spectator event, long races aren't usually very good, but this one allows people the chance to see their friends/family quite often.  It's in a great spot right on the water, without traffic and pretty damn scenic.  The forecast right now (yes, it's New England and it's impossible to forecast 100%) looks good, so I figure to go out just like last year and "bank time" in the first part of the race, anticipating a slowing down on the back end.

Monday, 11-3 - 4 Miles (Trail) - Champlin Glacier Park, Westerly.  Found a window between karate class and picking up the dog from his "Spa Day."  Hit up Champlin as it was right up the street, half-expecting to encounter Gazelle on a lunch run but instead having the place totally to myself.  Sunny and breezy, but the bowl shape of the park blocks a lot of the wind.  Fun place!

Tuesday, 11-4 - Election Day...hmmm...maybe I'll create a segment out of the Bicentennial Trail at Hewitt Farm, right up the street from Town Hall, where I'll cast my vote to end the godawful mudslinging commercials that have plagued the airwaves for months...Hey!  Here's the segment:

http://www.strava.com/segments/8457310

Wednesday, 11-5 - 4 Miles (Road) - Short Mystic run.  No particular goal in mind, just found myself in Mystic and cruised around for a bit.  Warm day, 65 degrees on November 5?  I'll take it...

Thursday, 11-6 - 0 Miles.  Frankly, it was shitty out, and with the race this weekend looming, I figured it was a good day to rest legs and get some other things done :)

Friday, 11-7 - 0 Miles.

Saturday, 11-8 - 3-ish Miles (Trail) - Lantern Hill (Dump Run).  Had some junk to drop off at the transfer station (read: Town Dump), and squeezed in a short, but quality, run on Lantern Hill before my day of yardwork began.  Cruised the first mile and took in the foliage, which is past its peak but still looks awesome.  The majority of the climb was in the second mile, and I put down a fast-ish downhill third mile (3:03 for the last half mile), part of it on the road leading down the hill to the lot.  Sunny skies and a brisk 48 degrees, but it felt perfect for running.  Lots of people out today!

Sunday, 11-9 - RI 6-HR Ultramarathon & Relay - 31.4 Miles (Paved Trail). - Separate writeup to follow!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck on Sunday! I may stop by, but probably not. Kind of a crazy day.

    ReplyDelete