Shit, I suppose at this point I'll just have to throw myself into the race and see what happens. Nothing to do but go for it, right? No races scheduled until Ithaca, just cruisy, mellow trail runs. If I have strong suits to my training (do I have any?), I suppose they are these:
1. Excellent "trail legs." I'm confident and sure-footed on trails, even the most technical trails, uphill or down. I don't get rattled by difficult sections - in fact, I enjoy them even more than the smooth single-track.
2. Trail time. Almost all of my runs are on fairly technical single-track. The amount of time I spend alone, in the woods, running tricky trails, is to my benefit.
3. Elevation. I've substituted lack of time to train with vertical gain. I've gone for, in most cases, the hilliest trails I have near me, and my short runs have been as steep as possible. I've also learned that I'm pretty decent at descents...
4. Fueling. My hydration/fueling, especially during a longer run, has become more sensible and consistent.
5. Mental. I'm still a head case, but I've learned to adopt an approach that works (at least in my head): "You have fun every time you go out for a run, no matter what the distance. Enjoy the run."
Weaknesses? Anyone? I'll leave #5 open.
1. Miles. I don't have enough miles per week under my belt. True. No argument there.
2. Support. Solo trip, after I told Lori about the drive time. Maybe I'll be able to focus better? Fortunately, trail runners are quite a supportive bunch :)
3. Travel time to and from, and sleeping in a strange room. I don't mind the drive, but it's another factor to consider, and I'll have to pop a melatonin and go to bed really early Friday and Saturday...especially Saturday. 6 a.m. start? Really??? I should be ready to join the 4:45 club after this...
4. Trail time on the race course. Going in on Friday before a Sunday race, I'm relying on previous runs, and course recon from fellow runners. Jason (http://mustlovejogs.com/2014/05/16/cayuga-trails-50-the-course/) drove out a few days ago and previewed the course, and was a big help. Lots of stairs! Gorges!
5. ???
Monday, 5-19 - 7 Miles (Trails) - James L. Goodwin State Forest, Chaplin CT. Finally got out to this place, about a 45-minute drive from here. Secure parking, well-mapped, and pretty damn good trails. I only managed one wrong turn, and did portions of the yellow and red trails, the blue-blazed lake loop, and a finish on the Natchaug Trail. It even merges with the Airline Rail Trail, so many options. Saw a number of hikers, and a couple on horseback with mosquito netting on their heads. Great mix of single and double track, technical and smooth trail. Great place, but I had to drive past a bunch of other quality trails to get there...map below!
http://www.ct.gov/deep/lib/deep/education/goodwin/goodwintrailsmap.pdf
Tuesday, 5-20 - 5 Miles (Trail/Roads to and from) - Relaxed Champlin run w/Gazelle. Another awesome weather day, and after some official WTAC business, we were able to get a short run in over in Champlin, which I hadn't been to since there was snow on the ground? Warm but very nice in the woods, and slightly too warm on the road. I'll take it over sub-zero and icy though!
Wednesday, 5-21 - 0 Miles - Sick child. I'm not calling it the Norovirus or anything, but my daughter got sent home today, along with about 20 other kids in her grade alone. Not pretty. So, with that said and an utter refusal to use the treadmill, I opted for a zero day, and took care of my ailing child. Good Dad (who's praying he doesn't catch it - they even sent a letter home about it...) :)
Thursday, 5-22 - 0 Miles. Sick child, day #2. She's better, but had to take another day to get the bug out of her system. She had a perfect attendance record up until yesterday, but she knew what the better decision was. I was toying with the idea of doing repeats in the yard, but it wouldn't have done anything for my training so I scrapped it. Besides, I had a job today that Soph had to tag along on, and she was able to do her homework during the drive and I took her to lunch after. Lots of heavy lifting for me, good workout although not quite what I'd prefer to be doing!
On a lighter note, here's the preliminary revision of the elevation at Cayuga, OH SHIT...
Section 1 = 2.9 miles, +1,020', -560' = +460'
Section 2 = 4.0 miles, +790', -1,250' = -460'
Section 3 = 5.5 miles, +1,170', -1,180' = -10'
Section 4 = 5.7 miles, +1,210', -1,200' = +10'
Section 5 = 4.0 miles, +1,250', -790' = +460'
Section 6 = 2.9 miles, +560', -1,020' = -460'
Total = 25.0 miles, +/-6,000'
2 laps = 50.0 miles, +/-12,000'
Talk about upping the ante...that's crazy...
Friday-Saturday - 0 Miles - Newport overnighter, lots of walking and eating :)
Sunday, 5-25 - 5 Miles (Trail) - Green Falls. Easy miles from now until...then. Good stuff, technical and scenic, and I felt like I could have gone all day (which I'll have to!)...
Just enjoy the run Crutch. It will be 12 hours of torture.
ReplyDeleteWill do :)
Deletebodyglide is your friend
ReplyDeleteFound that out the hard way, didn't I?
Delete