Tuesday, November 26, 2013

No Scheduled Races! Week of 11-25 to 12-1

A quick tally reveals that I'm currently sitting at 29 races for the year...and not to be OCD or anything, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to jump into the Christmas 10K in Newport for a couple of reasons:  first, it's a team event, so it's going to be a lot of fun; second, it's in Newport which is a really cool place to run; and third, it'll round me out at a nice, tidy 30 races...

My mileage has been way down the last couple weeks since the Ultra, and I'm cool with that.  Kristina F. shared a link to an article about runners who get burnt out, and I don't wanna be that guy, so if I turn my focus to home projects and take a couple zeroes here and there, so be it.  I love running and am looking forward to some group runs soon!

Monday, 11-25 - 0 Miles - 1 hour karate class.

Tuesday, 11-26 - 5.5 Miles (Roads) - Local Loop from the casa.  I had a delivery scheduled, so the goal was to set out from the house, and watch the clock and log as many miles as I could before the delivery window started.  I've also been stalking a segment up the street from me that I created some time ago, and was scooped up by Mr. Puddin' during what was probably an easy shakeout run.  Interesting to note my progression on this 1/2 mile hill segment since I created it:

1Michael CrutchleyNov 26, 2013 7:50/mi---3:47
2Michael CrutchleySep 28, 2013 8:04/mi---3:54
3Michael CrutchleyJan 15, 2013 8:25/mi---4:04
4Michael CrutchleyDec 23, 2012 9:13/mi---4:27
5Michael CrutchleyDec 24, 2012 9:19/mi---4:30
6Michael CrutchleyDec 29, 2012 10:02/mi---4:51

That's progress.  I averaged a 7:45 pace, and pulled down some virtual bling, and felt good in the process.  Think I could go a bit harder on this loop, and get it under 40 minutes as well...



Wednesday, 11-27 - 0 Miles - Absolutely disgusting, wind-driven rain (and my birthday), so no go...

Thursday, 11-28 - 10+ Miles (Roads) - Local roads from the house.  Anticipating an afternoon/evening of excessive eating/drinking at my brother-in-law's house, I set out in the chilly, breezy air for a few miles.  I'd also heard about a new Avalonia Preserve about 4 miles from my house that sounded very interesting, so I headed that way.  Never saw any signs for it, so maybe it's that new.  It's called Babcock Ridge, and where it's supposed to be, there's a really rocky, steep hillside, so I'll keep looking.  Meantime, I was able to crank out just over 10 miles before it was time to go!  Happy Thanksgiving!!!


Friday, 11-29 - 0 Miles.

Saturday, 11-30 - 12+ Miles - Group trail run in Yawgoog and Green Falls, finished on roads.  Met the crew at 6:45 (Me?  Really??? Shocking...), Sun not yet up, and a chilly 15 degrees.  Men in Tights.  Galoob was the group leader for this run, which started south of the Yawgoog Scout Camp property.  Made the run up to Hidden Lake, looped the lake and then hit the Dinosaur Caves portion of the trail.  Mike pointed out an unmarked trail that branched off the main section near Burnt Swamp, and we decided to give it a go.  Cool thing is, somebody had marked the trail with seashells and white beach stones, so between those and some serious bushwacking, we were able to make it around the pond/swamp with minor navigational issues.

Back on the main trail, we headed to and through the Green Falls camping area, losing Muddy in the process, rounded the lake, and dropped down below the dam and through the gorge to the road.  I think the highlight of the run for me was watching everyone cross the stream, which was up due to the recent rains we had...

Once we hit the dirt roads, we ran through the Scout Camp again, and finished with a few miles on the roads around the "Seven Sisters," the seven ponds that make up the Yawgoog property.  Legs dead at this point.  Great morning, and I was back at the house by 9:30!



Side note:  I was asked by Bob Jackman to write a review of the Mews Tavern Race, which can be found on his blog, "The Sweaty Beer Tent", good stuff!  Link here:

http://sweatybeertent.blogspot.com/

5 comments:

  1. That's funny. I am at 19 races for the year and will be doing the Newport race to round it out to 20. I will see you there! Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Send me that article - I'm burned out

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll get you that article shortly, and stay off the treadmill!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I lost count 30 or so races ago... Bummer on the Mews race. At least the "porta potty fail" wasn't an over full porta potty...

    ReplyDelete