Got to the race site, and met up with Seth and Jonny, and got my gear ready. Stowed my drop bag along the trail under a branch, and lined up with the other lunatics. When the race started, I was middle of the pack, and with any single-track trail race, it's tough passing anyone, so I just enjoyed the fact that the rain had let up, and got through most of the first 12 mile out/back with a pretty good time, and just after I crossed over to the second out/back, the sky opened up. Like torrential. This course has almost 2500' of elevation gain and it's technical, so it's no bargain on a bright sunny day, let alone this. Total mudbath, and very slick with all the freshly fallen leaves. I don't know how many people ended up dropping, but I can honestly say I considered it. For a while, too. A couple of dejected looking dudes passed me on their way to withdraw from the race, and it looked so easy...drop out, nice warm car, home early...but I kept fighting it off. After my DNF at 20 miles at the TARC 50K, I needed to finish this. It was raining, muddy, slippery and I was freezing, and I kept going. Pretty damn happy about that, the conditions out there were as difficult as could be, and I was able to keep my head in the game.
Ran for a time with several different people, but finished the last 4 miles with this cool dude named Etienne, and we kept each other going. No idea yet where I'd place, but I didn't care, because I beat the voices in my head, so to speak. I shaved 30 minutes off last year's time, coming in 90th at 5:45 out of 136 finishers (188 registered), and in challenging weather/conditions. Stoked! Results here:
http://www.shenipsitstriders.org/RaceResults/Nipmuck/2013.pdf
Huge kudos to the many volunteers who braved the elements at the start/finish, and all the aid stations along the course. You smiles and encouragement made it easier to get to the finish line!
I'm also blown away by the WTAC showing in New England this weekend. Our team placed very high at Nipmuck, the Smuttynose Marathon, and the Ocean's Road 10K! Great job, everyone!!!
Huddled under the tent for pre-race briefing...
I really needed one of those umbrella hats for the race...
Lining up, and checking laces!
Your #2 and #3 runners! Jonny Miles and Rhody Seth!
Last, but not least, as I was about to leave, the RD's shouted "Hey! Don't forget your finisher's award!" The Shenipsit Striders had cut sections of log, painted a blue blaze on them to represent the blue-blazed trail system, of which Nipmuck is one, and attached a commemorative sign to denote the 30th running of the race. Awesome, and heavy!!!
The award, and my filthy shoes...great day!
Great job Crutch!
ReplyDeleteThanks Glenn!!! Tough day, but glad I finished it :)
DeleteSounds like tough conditions that added to the fun and adventure. Congratulations!
ReplyDeleteThanks Greg, and it was most definitely an adventure!
DeleteI hate those voices – nice job staying with it – congrats Mike
ReplyDeleteThose voices suck, but they've dealt with...and thanks!
DeleteNice work stilling those voices. The rain came back with a vengeance and you showed true grit by toughing it out. A sub-five hour NipMuck shall be yours!
ReplyDeleteOh, it'll be mine...I have no doubt!
DeleteGreat job Mike!!! You stuck with it and I know those voices oh so well. One foot in front of the other and you got to that finish line through hell too! I kept checking Strava along my drive to see everyone post their times, shhh... Great write up and I echo the others NipMuck shall be yours!!!
ReplyDeletegreat effort man!
ReplyDeleteWow, you are a rock star! Way to beat those negative voices in your head. You got it done in those horrible conditions, and STILL had a PR. Awesome job!
ReplyDeleteNice job, Mike! Really happy to hear that you took 30 minutes off last year's time. Way to persevere and trek on to the finish.
ReplyDeleteMike - I was super pumped to see you at the Iron Mine aid station. I knew that you were going to have another couple of hours in those miserable conditions and you were able to fight through and get it done. I'm impressed!
ReplyDelete