Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Triathlon Training begins? No. Week of 5-20 to 5-26...

I probably shoulda been training already...the Crabman sprint triathlon is a little over 2 months away, and I've obviously trained for the run...but the bike and swim portions?  Nope.  Not one bit.  So we'll get the bike out this week and give it a go...and then find a place to swim this week and give that an effort...and who knows?  Maybe I'm a cycling prodigy and never knew it...

Monday, 5-20 - 6+ Miles (Road) - Post-karate run from the dojo.  Scored my 2nd best 10K time, including a needed pit stop at Rotary Park!  Thanks Gatorade!  I didn't feel as though I was really pushing the pace, either, in spite of the humidity (although I was totally drenched by the time I finished the run).  Pretty flat course, although there was one hill at the end.  Happy with the results though!



Tuesday, 5-21 - 0 Miles - 1 hour trail maintenance, and tweaked my back sometime in the last day, either picking up my brickhouse of a dog, or some other way...trying very light stretching, a big 'ol Ben Gay patch, and not doing anything else today except chillin'.  Too hot to run anyway!  Can't believe I just said that...

Wednesday, 5-22 - 0 Miles - Pulled lower muscles in my back leaving me sort of sideways...working it out, though, and taking it easy.  I blame the dog...

Thursday, 5-23 - 0 Miles - Zero number three, and to say I'm chomping at the bit to get back on the road. trail, etc. would be an understatement.  Those of you who have been sidelined, and said it was painful to even look at Strava, I totally get what you were talking about!

Friday, 5-24 - 5.5 Miles (Road) - Foggy, rainy Mystic Roads.  First run back since I tweaked my back, and I started out tentatively at first, but gradually got loose and picked up the pace a bit.  Good day for a run around Mystic, and actually saw several other people doing the same...not going to be a stellar week mileage-wise, but I'm thankful it wasn't a more serious injury.  Lift with your legs, not with your back...



Saturday, 5-25 - 0 Miles

Sunday, 5-26 - 11.5 Miles (9 Trail/2.5 Road) - The "Grills Trifecta" run with Rhody Seth and Muddy.  Met at 6:30 and made the short run up the road to the gated and forbidden part of Grills Preserve, but with a scofflaw tresspasser leading the run, I figured a few rules would be broken today.  After ducking under the fence, we were able to explore the first chunk of the preserve, where Muddy did a bit of farming...

Old McMuddy?

...then made another short jog up the road to hit the Ashaway side of things.  Nice and flat there, but still lots of downed trees.  I knew there'd be a stream crossing that involved a log coming up...

I'm almost across the log and said something about "If Mike B. were here he'd already be in the water," and Karma reached up and bit me right in the ass.  Slipped and splat, I planted and submerged both feet right in the muck...but hey, it took the pressure off of trying not to get my feet wet too soon, and from there I just went straight through everything.  The "new" section of Grills is more technical and hilly than the other parts, and I'm glad it was in the middle of the run.  I started losing steam around mile 8, and after hitting big hill and stopping to sample Seth's homemade honey rice ball concoctions (which were delicious and portable for long runs, very cool), we swung by the cars to grab drinks (mile 11.5-ish).  The guys went back out for another couple miles, and I called it a day.  Back is still a bit tweaked, but getting there...tentative plans to do the Bearathon in Mystic tomorrow...

3 comments:

  1. That's a lot of Route 1 on Monday - gotta teach you some Westerly back roads (unless you like Route 1). I see you did get in some Mastuxet fun, though.
    Re: swim and bike, I happen to know some local Westerly/Pawcatuck guys that are biking and swimming that you could probably hook up with if you were looking for motivation or maybe just commiseration. Just saying ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely would like to join those "Westerly/Pawcatuck guys" for biking and swimming - and no Mastuxet fun there, that was my rest stop break at Rotary that blew my 10K PR, although if I'd have been working harder I could have shaved a few minutes off it, I think :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that group rides are definitely a huge help! I still suck at biking, but I can go way longer with other people than on my own. Also check out the Narragansett Bay Wheelman Association (NBW) - they have group rides every weekend in different locations. I joined them once for a ride in Newport and everyone was super nice and welcoming. I bike with a group in South County which may be a little far from you, but feel free to email me if you are interested.

    For swimming, see if there are any open water swim groups, or masters swim teams around where you are. I swim with a group that is part of SwimRI to do swim workouts in the pool and in the ocean (when it gets warmer!).

    Looking forward to following your tri training!

    ReplyDelete