Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Heat Wave! Weekly Log 6-24 to 6-30

Summer is definitely here, and after spending a couple of muggy hours on Sunday tromping around the backwoods of Westerly, the temperature is now "Africa Hot."  That said, WhichWay? (Mike B.) should be in his glory, as he's mentioned once or twice his disdain for Winter.  Going to try to make some sensible decisions regarding training this week.




  Monday, 6-24 - 2+ Miles (Roads) - Weekapaug short run.  It's hot out!  After sweating through karate class in a full heavyweight gi, I decided that the beach area would be cooler for a run.  Wrong!  Just as hot, and I slogged through 20 or so minutes before calling it quits.  Then went over to my in-laws to get their window AC units set up.  Good times.  Have to get out earlier, or later this week so as not to pass out from the heat...

Tuesday, 6-25 - ? (Swim) - Late a.m. swim in my sister-in-law's pool.  And so it begins!  Apart from having to dodge the kids and the dog, I was able to swim a ton of laps in the pool, stay cool, and get some smart training in despite the heat.  Pool was perfect, and I'm starting to figure out my rhythm, if that makes sense.  Still hoping for a bike/run/whatever later if it cools down...

Wednesday, 6-26 - ? (Swim) - Laps in the pool works on hot day #3, but now I'm getting antsy, and the kids are less than motivated when "The Heat is On" (80's reference number 2)...going to have to get out early tomorrow a.m. and get some miles in.  Heat's supposed to ease a bit after today anyway, right?

Thursday, 6-27 - 0 Miles - Started to feel "off" on Wednesday, and it continued into Thursday.  I thought it was just bad air quality, but it ended up being more like a head cold, aggravated by the air quality?  Ah well, I suppose I was due for a low mileage week...

Friday, 6-28 - 4 Miles (Trails) - Long and Ell Ponds Preserve, Hopkinton RI.  This is a Nature Conservancy area, and I'd been meaning to hit this section of the Narragansett Trail at some point, which is within the "Seven Sisters" area on the CT/RI border.  Wow.  Finally feeling better from the last couple days, I decided drive down to the preserve, which is less than 10 minutes from my place, and started down the trail.  It immediately becomes very narrow here, with Rhododendron all around, and then gets seriously rocky, hilly and super technical.  Awesome!  I found myself climbing certain parts with my hands, using trees and rocks to pull myself up, or slow my descents.  Once I veered away from Long Pond toward Ashville Pond, the ground became less rocky and technical, but was still hilly in places.  Good stuff...got 4 miles in, and I was soaked from the climbs.  Took two spider webs to the face that fully wrapped around my head.  And scared the living snot out of a poor hiker named Brian...is there any way to not do that on narrow single-track?  Anyway, here's a couple shots from today's adventure:

Headed down...

Headed up!

Old school bridge...

Narrow pass

Good climb here...

This is an exceptional trail, and although it was quite slippery with last night's rain, I really enjoyed this section...a great test for anyone.  Any place that has signs warning against rock climbing is fine by me :)



Saturday, 6-29 - 4 Miles (Trails) - Long and Ell Pond Preserve Part 2.  Run/Climb/Hike with Jim H., who has Verizon, and comes up with completely different numbers than I do...another tropical day - we started at the small dirt lot on North Road and made the run to Ashville Pond and back.  Great time, and this is Jim's new favorite spot.  Cool...


Sunday, 6-30 - 8 Miles (Roads) - 8 mile loop from the house.  Very humid day, not too hot, just very humid...legs felt heavy after two days of trails, but I got some hilly miles in here:

3 comments:

  1. The usual suspects (WTAC) and I missed you at Stonington fun run MC. Looking forward to next time we run one of those races we have in common on the radar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Don! Dying to get down there for one (or more) of those...have to update my race list, too, I have quite a few to add!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed! No "Critchlery" sightings at either Stonington or Westerly fun runs this week was disappointing. The Walker family adds Groton fun runs to the mix starting tomorrow. Hope to see you again soon.

    ReplyDelete